Friday, April 20, 2012

Final Selection, Mortgage approval, More Lot issues

Well we received a lot of updates this week.  First the good news we received mortgage approval this week from NVR.  All our color choices and upgrades were completed last week and locked in and we mapped out our electrics last week with our sales rep.

Now for the bad news  I received a call today from our sales rep.  She informed me that the water issues on out lot that are still awaiting state DEP approval to address isn't going to be happening anytime soon.  Initially we were informed that DEP approval to deal with the water was expected no later that April 30th.  According to the meeting that occurred with the DEP and the developer earlier this week the DEP has decided to delay approval for 4 more weeks.  The DEP wants to more grass grown in on the lot before they will decide...something to do with  how the drainage will be affected once grass is established on the lot.

Unfortunately for my wife and I this is a huge heartbreak.  We feel that we did everything that was expected of us.  We completed all the mortgage forms in a timely and correct fashion.  We did not delay or drag out any of our vendor meetings and most importantly we sold our the first week it was listed and on the first day that it was available for showing to the public.  Ryan is saying that if they receive the approval  in mid May to start construction that we should have our house by mid September.  My wife is pregnant with our first child and the due date is the first week of October.  Thats cutting it close!!  I really don't want to be moving my wife from temporary housing into our Ravenna two weeks before the baby is born.

So I promptly asked our sales rep today to ask the sales manger to waive the premium lot fee that were being charged for a Cul-de-sac lot.  The sales rep didn't think that was going to be possible.  I pleaded my  case to the sales rep that we understood at the time of contract that we would not be able to break ground before April 30th however now that time line is being pushed back four weeks at the minimum.  We feel that this lot is no longer a premium lot since now they don't know when we can start building.  I was adamant today that the lot fee should be waived.  I presonally would like to know why this lot was made available back in early March if we can't build until at least mid May.

So now I'm waiting to hear back from Ryan on the home premium fee and I am going to have to make a decision on what were going to do.  Do we take a chance and wait whether they waive the fee or not and hope our house is done before the baby is born or I do I walk away and go somewhere else the whole thing sucks because we have to be out of our house next month and construction on our new house will not have started.

Here are some pics of our final choices

Buckeye Stone for the front and the fireplace





Black shutters and stone mountain clay siding

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about all that. It certainly does sound heart-breaking. At least they are taking their time testing. This way you won't have major issues further down the road. It must be exciting to be having a new baby and building a new house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with these lot issues. Personally, I would be trying to find another suitable lot ASAP. We bought a house when I was expecting our first. We planned to close 2 months before the baby was due. Turns out, I had unexpected complications and was on bedrest during the move. Baby was born early and I was glad to be somewhat settled in our home before the birth. I was perfectly healthy and had no reason to expect any issues.
    My reason in saying this is not to scare you, just to prepare you that you just never know. September is really cutting things close. Moving is stressful on its own. Expecting/having a new baby is very stressful. Put the two together and it may be very overwhelming. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would look for another lot that you would like and ground breaking could start sooner. Unless you really like this one one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sgt. Rich, if youre needs outweigh the timeline, then choose an alternate lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else-while it sounds heartbreaking that they cannot start building yet, everything happens for a reason. Perhaps there is something better around the bend...chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, I'd like to say congratulations on the new addition to the family!!! I'm also in agreement. Although your heart may be set on that particular lot, babies never come exactly as scheduled. Both my boys were a couple weeks early. Moving with a newborn is not as easy as you may think. You'll be working off of a couple hours sleep each night, one parent won't even be there to move becasue of constantly feeding/changing/taking care of the baby. If it were me in this position, I'd look at another lot, rather than try to waive the premium lot fee and delay moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the best wishes on our upcoming child!

    ReplyDelete