Wednesday, April 25, 2012

At the end of my rope!!

Well as most of you know we have a lot reserved that we have no idea when we will be able to build our home on because of this retention pond issue.  As I have explained before we were initially told that we picked a lot that was good to build on as soon as we sold our existing home.  We find out later that there are issues with the lot.  We have tried to be reasonable and work with Ryan to build our dream home.  If I am going to build the home I intend to live in the rest of my life I want a home with a walk out basement. I don't think I should settle for less I currently live in a home with an unfinished basement with no walk out.  Its not like you can go back later and add a walk out after its built.

There is the lot next to us which as I have said before is not desirable.  So my wife and I went to a neighboring Ryan community yesterday to see if there was something we could work out over there.  However at this neighboring community the Ravenna is not available.  The cheapest home we could build there would be a Jefferson...I must say its an awesome home!  My wife and I like it a lot but the pricing in this community is over $110,000 more just to start...ouch! there is only 1 walk out lot available over there and its a $25,000 lot premium fee.  This basically makes the walk out basement out of our reach.  So I even was going to settle for a Jefferson with no walk out but after running the numbers we would have to give a lot up to be able to build in this community and it would not be the home we truly want option wise.

So we went back to our current community were we still have the currently "water lot" reserved.  At this community there are two remaining lots in the older phase both are walk outs however both would be surrounded by homes on all four side however we could build our Ravenna with a walk out or the Jefferson which my wife likes better with a walkout as well.  In my opinion these two final lots in the old phase did not sell for a reason...like I said surrounded by homes on all sides...however I am willing to build a Jefferson a more expensive home on this lot and give up our cul de sac lot we currently are holding.  I just want to build our house before the baby gets here.  I am even willing to spend more money because my wife really likes the Jefferson.  So we inform our sales rep of our thoughts and this way we can get on the build schedule ASAP.  She tells me there is a $25,000 lot premium for these lots ...I am so frustrated  at this point....According to our sales rep Ryan will not budge on the lot fee.  A $25,000 lot fee for a house that is surrounded on all sides by other homes!!  Apparently there answer is wait for your current lot or take the lot right next door....which are Ravenna only lots (I like the Ravenna anyway).....it blows my mind that Ryan does not want to work with us at all and I am even willing to build a slightly bigger more expensive home.   We have a meeting tomorrow with our sale rep and I think I am going to tell her tomorrow to schedule another meeting next week with the sale manager so I can basically plead my case to him or ask for our deposit back.....I feel so frustrated because I sold a great house to build a new one with Ryan.....By the way there are two other lots available in the newer phase however neither is a walkout....I could use some advice

7 comments:

  1. We really wanted a walk-out basement too. Unfortunately there were only 4 lots left in the only neighborhood we were willing to move to and none had the walk-out option. The lot we chose was also the only one of the 4 that we liked. Having half an acre and not having neighbors behind us was worth giving up the walk-out basement. I feel like having the right lot is as important as choosing the right house.

    $25,000 lot premium?!?!?!? THAT'S CRAZY! Our lot had a premium of a measly $2,500 and it's half an acre with no houses behind it!! There's also a good amount of space between neighbors.

    I hope you are able to work something out and still get your dream home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy...I hace a $4,500 walkout fee on my current lot that I can't build on....I think I am being reasonable and I only want to be able to move to a mot that basically has less privacy just to I can start building right away and I am willing to build a Jefferson.....I think the lot fee should be waived or make it the same that I have on my current lot....I think thats fair

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we made the decision to move, the mantra we kept repeating was "no compromises." We already lived in a home we loved, but we wanted to shorten commute time and be closer to family. We decided what were our "must haves," our "would be nice," and what we could do without. I think once you have those figured out, you can proceed. If Ryan is not willing to work with you to get you your "must haves," then maybe they are not the builder for you or for right now. So, while it may be less than ideal to not be in your home before the baby is born, you have already sold your house. You can find temporary housing that is acceptable and wait for the right lot/house to build. Don't settle for anything less than what you really want. You'll probably regret it in the long run. I wish you nothing but the best with the decisions you are making :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel makes some excellent points. And being that this is your first child - I assume you are not yet tied to one school district. Ryan has lots of developments in Pgh as does S&A and Heartland. And there does seem to be new ones every day. Hopefully Ryan will do the right thing and get you all into a lot you want, no fee, pronto. But know that you have options and that you will get your dream house one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rachel. If you make any type of compromise as large as what you are looking at, you will regret it. Time is relative. Although you are feeling rushed due to a birth, I would advise to not make long term decisions based on short term circumstances. And as it's been pointed out, Ryan is not the only builder in town. We liked three builders when looking. I'm sure I would have been happy with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like Ryan sales reps are told to say Ryan never does... Until you hear from other people that lot fees were waived, discounts were given, etc. We were told Ryan never gives on price, but my cousin had built right across the street and they had. Of course, it was due to a special problem where my cousin had the ability to walk away from the deal and recoup all their money - so it was in Ryan's best interest to give up the money. I really think Ryan only does what is in their best interests, ever. They know you sold your house and are feeling desperate to move in before the baby, so they aren't budging. I would ask for my money refunded and see if they change their tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off I would like to thank all of you for your understanding and input. It’s much appreciated. Tami I agree with you. The sales rep who has been nothing but fantastic with us is the one telling us there is no room to move on the fee. We do have a meeting today at 3:30 to discuss our situation and options. I don’t expect much to be resolved today so I will request a final meeting for early next week with someone from management and I guess we will see what happens....You would think and hope that they would not let a customer willing to make such a big investment and commitment walk away.....Again thank you all for your advice....I do not intend to compromise on certain options that I feel are a must have.

    ReplyDelete